Monday, November 15, 2010

'The Price of Beauty' Script.

int. master bedroom. day

An incredibly large bedroom. Chippendale furniture rests on axminster carpet. On the walls hangs contemporary art. Beautiful pieces that suggest an element of fantasy. In the middle of this room is a large bed like a flowering iris as ruffled white sheets fall across the edges. In the middle of this rose of sheets is Daphne a young woman in her twenties. She wakes up.

Feet glide into luxurious slippers. Next to them lies a book (Philip Roth)

TITLE: THE PRICE OT BEAUTY

INT.MASTER BEDROOM. DAY

Daphne sitting at the dressing table with maid combing her hair, Daphne playing with her face trying to make herself look prettier.

A long pause as Daphne reflects. The maid continues to comb.


Daphne:

How are the plans coming along for the party tomorrow night? Has Martin confirmed for 6 o'clock? We need something exquisitely different, it's my trademark.

Pause.


Pygmies! Yes, Pygmies serving supper, how wonderful! We can have them serving supper! Gerald can fly them over.

Maid says nothing.

int. fLOWEr shop. day.

Daphne standing in front of a sea of flowers. She is pointing in all directions.

DAPHNE:

Give me four bunches of those. And that jar or roses. Yes, I'll have all the roses in the jar. No, no lilac. I hate lilac. It's got no shape. (Under her breath) Lilac is so dreadfully shapeless. (Louder again) Give me those stumpy little tulips. Those red and white ones.

INT. CAR. DAY.

INT. JEWELERY SHOP. DAY.

Daphne sitting alone in a room, at a desk. She is drinking champagne, the bottle in a ice bucket by the desk. She is smoking a cigarette? The sound of footsteps can be heard. They carry on, getting louder and closer for around six seconds.

Shop Assistant:

(Opening a small box, handing it to her.)

Here you are Madam. This is brand new, just flown over from Dubai. The clarity is perfection.

DAPHNE:

Oh Ivan, this is the most beautiful, precious thing I have ever seen. I must have it!

Daphne is admiring it, noting every detail.

But what is the price?

SHOP Assistant:

This, Madam, comes to a total of fifteen thousand pounds.

DAPHNE:

Fifteen thousand pounds. Well, could you keep it for me?

SHOP Assistant:

Of course Madam.

Bows. Takes the box and leaves the room. Daphne puts her coat back on and leaves the shop.

EXT. STREET. Day.

Daphne steps out of shop. She is gazing at the world around her curiously, showing that she is realizing there is a world outside of her own. Suddenly, she feels a tap on her shoulder.

Naomi:

Excuse me Madam, may I speak to you a moment?

Daphne stops and stares at the girl.

Daphne:

Speak to me?

The girl pulls her coat around her.

NAOMI:

M-madam, please could I have some money for a cup of tea?

DAPHNE:

You have no money at all?

NAOMI:

None, Madam.

DAPHNE:

How extraordinary!

Daphne is still staring at the girl. Her eyes begin to move with ideas, she starts taking in the girl from top to bottom. She smiles.

DAPHNE:

Why don't you come home to tea with me?

Naomi's mouth drops open in shock. She looks confused.

DAPHNE:

(Smiling.)

Why won't you? Do. come home with me now in my car and have tea.

NAOMI:

You - you don't mean it, Madam.

She begins to stutter.

You must be mistaken.

DAPHNE:

Her voice gets quick and excited, yet still reassuring.

But I do! I want you to. Please, please come along.

Naomi puts her fingers to her lips. She looks at Daphne longingly.

NAOMI:

You're - you're not taking me to the police station? Please don't...I'll leave you alone.

Begins to turn to walk away. Rosemary touches her arm, getting her to turn back around.

DAPHNE:

The police station!

She laughs.

Why should I be so cruel? No, I only want to get you into a warm house and give you something to ear and hear...anything you wish to tell me.

Naomi smiles and nervously nods. They begin to walk to the car and the chauffeur, dressed in a suit and hat, opens the door. Daphne offers for Naomi to get in first, Daphne follows. Daphne turns to Naomi as they set off.

DAPHNE:

Don't be frightened. After all, why shouldn't you come back with me? I'll look after you...I will.

int. day. sitting room.

Daphne is walking around the room as Naomi stands in the doorway, gazing at the room.

DAPHNE:

Come and sit down in this big, comfy chair. It's delightful here by the fire, come and get warm.

Naomi doesn't move.

Oh please, you mustn't be frightened.

Naomi makes her way, very slowly, over to the chair and cautiously sits down.

DAPHNE:

Oh how thoughtless of me! We must have tea...tea at once!

She goes over to the side where a pot of tea is waiting and fills two teacups. She then goes over to the door.

Mary! Bring the brandy at once!

NAOMI:

No...no! Please, I don't want brandy, I never drink brandy. All I want is a cup of tea please Madam.

Her voice is shaking and she begins to cry. Daphne rushes over and puts her arm around Naomi's shoulders. Naomi forgets herself for a moment and sobs.

I can't go on no longer like this. I can't bear it...I cannot bear it! I shall do away with myself. I can't bear this any longer.

DAPHNE:

You shan't have to and you won't! I will look after you, please don't cry anymore. Don't you see what a good thing it was that you met me? We'll have tea and you'll tell me everything. And I shall arrange something. I promise...I promise I will! Do stop crying...please.

Naomi stops crying, wiping her eyes. Mary comes in with a tray filled with sandwiches and a bottle of brandy. She sets it down on the table and Daphne goes over to the window as the tea is brought over. Naomi begins to eat and Daphne starts to smoke a cigarette.

Mary comes back a little while later and removes the tray of food. Just the teacups, an ashtray and coffee table book remain on the table. Daphne goes over and sits down as Naomi leans back in her chair. Daphne lights another cigarette.

DAPHNE:

(Speaking softly)

When did you have your last meal?

At that moment there is a knock at the door. Philip puts his head round the door.

Philip:

May I come in Daphne?

DAPHNE:

Of course darling.

Philip comes in.

PHILIP:

Oh, I'm so sorry.

He stops and stares at Naomi in the chair.

DAPHNE:

It's quite alright.

She smiles.

This is my friend...

She stops and turns to Naomi.

I haven't even asked your name?

NAOMI:

Naomi, Madam.

DAPHNE:

This is Naomi.

Daphne turns back to Philip.

We are going to have a little talk, darling.

PHILIP:

Oh yes, dear...we most certainly are.

Philip looks down and sees Naomi's coat on the floor. He goes over to the fire and turns his back to it.

It's a beastly afternoon.

He looks down at Naomi's boots and then looks at Daphne.

DAPHNE:

Yes, isn't it? Absolutely vile.

Philip smiles, a very charming smile.

PHILIP:

As a matter of fact, could you come into my study with me for a moment? Naomi, will you excuse us?

DAPHNE:

Of course she will.

Daphne and Philip leave the room. Naomi picks up the book and flicks through it.

int. day. philip's study.

Philip is sitting behind his desk with Daphne in the chair opposite.

PHILIP:

I say, Daphne. Please explain to me who this girl is? What does it all mean.

Begins to chuckle.

I'm a little confused darling.

DAPHNE:

(Laughing lightly)

I picked her up in Curzon Street. Really. She's a real pick-up. She asked me if I had any money for a cup of tea and I felt so sorry for her, So I told her to come home with me.

PHILIP:

(His voice is raised)

But what on earth are you going to do with her?

DAPHNE:

(Answers quickly)

Be nice to her...be so very nice to her. I'm going to look after her. I don't know how, we haven't talked yet. But I want to show her - treat her - make her feel...

PHILIP:

My darling girl, you're quite mad, you know that? I really don't think this is the best idea, although she is lovely.

DAPHNE:

I knew you'd say that. Why not? I want to! Isn't that a good enough reason? Besides, I am always reading about these things. I decided-

PHILIP:

She is just so astonishingly pretty.

DAPHNE:

(Begins to stutter)

Her face drops a little.

Pretty? Do you think so? I-I hadn't even noticed.

(Her voice trails off)


PHILIP:

Good Lord! She's absolutely lovely.

He lights a cigarette.

Just look at her. I was blown away when I came into your room just now.

Daphne looks away from him.

However...I think you're making a ghastly mistake. Sorry, darling, if I'm crude and all that. Just let me know if Naomi is going to dine with us tonight?

Daphne doesn't say anything, gets up and walks out the door. Philip picks up the newspaper on his desk and starts to read, smoking his cigarette.

int. day. Daphne's study.

Daphne goes over to her desk and sits down. She takes out an envelope and writes 'Naomi' on it. She then takes out two twenty pound notes and one ten pound note. She puts in the envelope and goes out the room.

int. day. philip's study.

Daphne enters Philips study, he is sitting reading the newspaper like before. Daphne goes over to him and sits on the arm of his chair. He turns to her and strokes her head.

DAPHNE:

Darling, I found the most beautiful ring today, but it costs fifteen thousand pounds. May I have it?

PHILIP:

Of course you may, you little wasteful thing. Anything you like.

DAPHNE:

(Speaks softly)

Darling, can I ask you something? Do you like me?

PHILIP:

I like you very much, you know how much I adore you.

DAPHNE:

Do you think I'm pretty?

The camera pans back to show Daphne still sitting on the arm of Philips chair and Philip with his arm around her waist and stroking her head. The screen fades to black.

(Scenes 8, 9 and 10 are going to be shown using cross cutting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment